I cleaned my wallet out this morning and found quite a few fortunes from Chinese fortune cookies. There was a time when I posted the best of these on Facebook, but I stopped that practice when I left the site. Apparently I thought I might do that again at some point and kept collecting them.
I've decided to share them here instead. Calling these "the best" is a somewhat relative and subjective measure. From the looks of the fortunes, it looks like it could have meant funny, ironic, goofy, wise, interesting, or mildly prophetic. Further, I have no idea how long I've collected these, but I'm pretty sure some of them are four years old or more.
By the way, for those who don't know: the fortune cookie is not a Chinese tradition at all. It originates from a similar cookie sold in Kyoto, Japan in the 1800s and then again in Japanese restaurants in California around the late 1800s and early 1900s. During World War II they became more closely associated with Chinese culture (a shift likely influenced by the war). But that mental association is more marketing ploy than reality — fortune cookies in their modern form are very much an American creation. In fact, the world's largest manufacturer of fortune cookies is Wonton Food, Inc. with its headquarters in Brooklyn, New York and two additional locations in Texas and Tennessee. They even let you order cookies with custom fortunes inside, which is pretty cool and a unique promotional idea. And let's face it, nothing screams America more loudly than unique promotional items from New York, Texas, and Tennessee.
Here is my now discarded collection of fortunes, with all punctuation and grammar copied as printed.
- Stop searching forever, happiness is just next to you.
- Fate will find a way. (Note: Received twice)
- Be on the lookout for coming events; They cast their shadows beforehand!
- This could be an almost perfect day. Enjoy it.
- All the troubles you have will pass away very quickly.
- People make plans; fate makes the plan successful.
- What makes an apple fall to the ground?
- Big things coming in future. Only matter of time.
- This instant is the only time there is.
- Time to collect those good
- Good things are coming to you in due course of time
- You will stumble into the path that will lead your life to happiness.
- All thing has a cause. Look into your pass for answer
- You will strike it rich soon.
- We are what we think.
- A good way to keep healthy is to eat more Chinese food.
- If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it.
- You are a happy man. (Note: What if a woman or child got this one?)
- The one waiting for you when you get home will be your friend for life.
- Actions speak louder than talks.
- Your next interview will result in a job
- First learn to "give" and then the universe will reward you. (Note: Received twice)